Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Going Forward

Rabbi Ken Alpren
Sermon Notes: Teresa Bennett, Pharm.D.
July 30, 2011

We all want to know the future! We need guidance and direction not only for our lives, but for our nation and our world.

Scripture records forty-two encampments of the Jewish people in Numbers 33 requiring the people to pull up their tents and then go forth to their next destination.

Numbers 33:1, ‘These are the stages in the journey of the people of Isra'el as they left the land of Egypt divided into groups under the leadership of Moshe and Aharon.’

The Hebrew word used in this passage for leaving the land of Egypt is ‘yatsa’ which means to go out, go forth or forward. And the Hebrew word for pulling out is ‘nasav’.

Numbers 33:2, ‘Moshe recorded each of the stages of their journey by order of ADONAI; here are the starting-points of each stage:’

As with the Israelites, G-d is keeping a record of every start and stop we make along our journey. In this instance He recorded every step from their journey out of Egypt into the Land or Haaretz.

Two important lessons can be drawn from the recorded journey of the Israelites from Egypt to Haaretz. In order to go forward we must pull up or pull out our stakes so to speak and sometimes in order to pull out, we must first just make the effort to go forward. And secondly, the final review of our lives will be recorded by G-d which will include all the steps we took in faith and obedience.

Romans 1:5-8, ‘Through him we received grace and were given the work of being an emissary on his behalf promoting trust-grounded obedience among all the Gentiles, 6 including you, who have been called by Yeshua the Messiah. 7 To: All those in Rome whom God loves, who have been called, who have been set apart for him: Grace to you and shalom from God our Father and the Lord Yeshua the Messiah. 8 First, I thank my God through Yeshua the Messiah for all of you, because the report of your trust is spreading throughout the whole world.’

Our sins are not being recorded if we are in Messiah, however, we do experience the consequences of sin and discipline.

Our journey as a country is being recorded as well and it appears we are at a crossroads. Will we, as believers, have an impact on the course of history?

We do have the power to change things, but not in human effort! How then can we affect change? Through prayer and the Word of G-d!

Through prayer we can be in tune with G-d and listen for His Voice. We have power in prayer as the Holy Spirit leads.

G-d answers prayer!

Psalm 30:1-4, ‘A psalm. A song for the dedication of the house. By David: I will exalt you, ADONAI, because you drew me up; you didn't let my enemies rejoice over me. 2 ADONAI my God, I cried out to you, and you provided healing for me. 3 ADONAI, you lifted me up from Sh'ol; you kept me alive when I was sinking into a pit. 4 Sing praise to ADONAI, you faithful of his; and give thanks on recalling his holiness.’

David knew what it was like to have a false sense of security, but then he realized that when the L-rd’s Face was turned from him he was in deep trouble so he cried out to the L-rd and He responded!

Psalm 30:6-12, ‘Once I was prosperous and used to say, that nothing could ever shake me 7 when you showed me favor, ADONAI, I was firm as a mighty mountain. But when you hid your face, I was struck with terror. 8 I called to you, ADONAI; to ADONAI I pleaded for mercy: 9 "What advantage is there in my death, in my going down to the pit? Can the dust praise you? Can it proclaim your truth? 10 Hear me, ADONAI, and show me your favor! ADONAI, be my helper!" 11 You turned my mourning into dancing! You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, 12 so that my well-being can praise you and not be silent; ADONAI my God, I will thank you forever!’

Every detail of the Israelites’ journey was recorded; where they came from and where they went. Most of the journey’s record may seem boring or mundane with occasional interruptions recording significant events as with the death of Aaron. But with G-d the entire record is important because as with us, character was being formed through every seemingly boring or mundane start and stop. They continued their journey and didn’t stop and finally reached Jericho where they were to cross the Yarden to reach Haaretz. As with us, we continue as well until we meet the L-rd!

As with the Israelites, we must be willing to pull out and move forward no matter how inconvenient. In faith, G-d gives the ability and He moves us forward to replant; but first we must be uprooted.

Psalm 1:3, ‘They are like trees planted by streams -they bear their fruit in season, their leaves never wither, everything they do succeeds.’

The Hebrew word ‘shatooll’ for planted in this passage actually means ‘replanted’. Clearly, for a plant to replanted, it must first be uprooted! Wasn’t Abraham uprooted from his home to go to the Promised Land? This principle also applies to us.

Hebrews 11 records from an eternal perspective the faithful ones and their obedience. It does not record their sins, faults or bad days, but rather, where they were obedient.
The final review of our lives, as well, G-d will have recorded our steps of obedience and not our sins. He will have recorded every time we trusted Him, when we pulled out and when we went forward. We put our hand in His, trusting His guidance knowing it is the only place to be kept safe.

Further Reading: Psalm 85, Romans 5:1-5, Isaiah 46:10 and Ephesians 1:3-4




No comments:

Post a Comment